Health Education and Relationships through Theater (HEART) is a study evaluating a program for teens ages 14 – 19 with autism spectrum disorder and/or mild ID, including Asperger’s, or are receiving services for social skills deficits. The program is designed to teach young people how to build healthy relationships, understand boundaries, the progression of relationships, romantic feelings, and codes of sexual behavior through interaction, theater, role play, and the participation of a trusted adult.
As part of the study, all enrolled youth will:
- Take 3 surveys over the course of the year
- Receive a $25 gift card for each survey they complete
Half of the youth will:
- Participate in the six-session healthy relationships program
- Choose a trusted adult that they feel comfortable having important conversations about healthy relationships and sexual health with to participate in one of the program’s sessions
We have a number of partner locations throughout New Jersey and Philadelphia.
- New Jersey Partners:
- YALE School – Cherry Hill Campus
- Philadelphia partners:
- CGRC – Island Ave, Southwest Philadelphia
- SPIN – Drummond Rd, Northeast Philadelphia
- NET – Center City locations
- CFA – Ford Rd location, West Fairmount Park
Interested in learning more? Reach out to us at 844.972.5672 or [email protected]! Staff are ready to answer any questions you may have, and can help with a brief survey over the phone to see if your teen is eligible to take part in the study!
|Eligibility||14-19 years old, has a diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder including Asperger's and/or mild intellectual disability, or receives services for autism-related social skills deficits. A brief survey to see if HEART is a good fit for your teen can be completed over the phone with HEART staff or online in less than 15 minutes.|
Arts & Recreation
Employment / Training
Family & Support Services
Behavioral / Mental Health
Last Updated: 08/24/18